When your car is new, you might notice how sparkling the headlights are and how well they illuminate the road ahead of you. The only problem with these headlights is they start degrading as soon as you leave the factory.
Once they get exposed to sunlight, dirt, and other external environmental factors, you need to start getting ready with clever cleaning methods. Luckily, you can now buy headlight restoration kits from the comfort of your home. The restoration kits are designed with powerful headlight cleaning agents to restore the newness of your headlights.
It is essential to understand the significance of healthy headlights, especially as they offer you the best road safety when you drive at night. If they have developed the yellow coating that comes as they age, it will affect how adequate illumination will be, and you will need to clean them regularly.
This article will discuss five of the best headlight restoration kits you can buy from Amazon with complete reviews and pros and cons. Additionally, you will also learn a few tips to guide you when buying the best headlight restoration kit for your car.
Best Headlight Restoration Kit
1. Best Kit Overall: Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit
- Restores Headlight To A Like-New Appearance and Removes Haze:...
- Restores Headlight Light Output: Restores original clarity and...
- 3 Easy Steps To Restore Long Lasting Uv Protection To Your...
- Lifetime Warranty: The components of this kit are good for two...
- The Sylvania Standard Of Quality: With over 100 years in...
The Sylvania brand is quite popular with restoration taillight bulbs and headlights, so it comes as no surprise their headlight restoration kit is one of the best. Their kit is easy to use and will only take you three steps to get your headlight lenses working better again.
To restore your lenses from sun and dirt damage, you follow these three simple steps;
- Clean the headlight with water, then spray the kit's surface activator. Ensure every part of the headlight lens is covered with this surface corrosion softener, and let it sit for at least 30 seconds. After it starts to form yellow gunk, wash it off thoroughly with water. The yellow gunk is loosened corrosion.
- In the second step, you need to sand and polish your lenses. Your kit comes with sanding papers and a wet sanding technique manual. Follow this and then apply the clarifying compound in circular motions. Rinse and let the lenses dry before applying the surface activator for another 30 seconds.
- In the final step, apply the UV block clear coat once the lens is dry. This coat is made with a polymer to block UV and give your headlights a longer lifespan.
The Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit is enough to restore two headlight lenses, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
2. Mothers 07251 NuLens Headlight Renewal Kit
- Designed to quickly and safely restore, maintain and protect all...
- It easily cleans away yellowing and stains, and even buffs out...
- The included PowerPlastic 4Lights polish restores crystal...
- Includes: 3-inch Backing Plate, PowerBall 4Lights Polishing Tool,...
This headlight renewal kit from Mothers is your ideal restoration kit if you want fast results without using too much of your energy. It is designed to clean, restore, and maintain the clarity of plastic and acrylic headlight lenses.
The renewal kit requires a drill to use, and it is not included with the purchase. However, you get the precision foam polishing balls. The restoration process takes very little time and includes the following steps;
- Prepare your polishing tool by attaching the polishing ball to a cordless drill. Then apply Mother's PowerPlastic Polish. You can also use painter's tape to cover the area surrounding your lenses.
- Using the ready drill-mounted polishing balls, safely and easily clean every inch of both lenses in no time.
- Once you are done polishing with the drill, you can then use a microfiber towel to clean off any residue and polish the headlights to see how crystal clear they become.
The PowerPlastic 4Lights polish is designed with useful ingredients, including polymer, to protect and preserve the good health of your lenses after you clean them.
The package includes a 3-inch backing plate, the PowerPlastic 4Lights polish and a polishing tool, restoration discs, and a cleaning instruction manual. This renewal kit is also ideal for cleaning other car parts such as the taillight lenses and reflectors, convertible top windows, motorcycle windscreens, and many more.
3. Rust-Oleum HDLCAL Wipe New Headlight Lens Restorer Kit
- Simple to use; clean, wet sand and polish using included...
- Nano-polymer formula and application procedure removes oxidation...
- Works fast and dries in one hour--wait 24 hours before exposing...
- Long lasting formula provides continued protection from UV and...
- Instantly restores headlight lenses providing a crystal clear...
The Rust-Oleum headlight lens restoration kit is yet another product that is easy to use and highly effective. The kit includes nano-polymer formula and comes with a much-needed polishing pad.
To restore your lenses to their best health, follow these three steps;
- After cleaning with water or an efficient grease remover, cover the areas surrounding the headlights with tape to protect the paint. Then, use the polishing pad for sanding the lens. It is best to start sanding with the green side of the polishing pad. Sand the lens until it becomes very clear when wet.
- Rinse the headlight cleaner after you finish sanding, and then dry it with a microfiber towel that is included in the package.
- In this final step, use the Wipe-It towelette in the package to wipe the lens of the headlight. Wipe in a side-to-side motion, and make sure to overlap each pass to ensure you wipe every inch of the lens. For this step, you need to have prepared both headlights before opening the towelette as it can dry up quickly.
Once you have restored your headlight lens, it would greatly help if you protected them from moisture within the first 24 hours. The formula in the towelette helps block UV damage oxidation damage which can inevitably prolong the headlight's lifespan.
4. 3M Headlight Restoration Kit
- KIT INCLUDES: 1 - Disc Pad Holder, 3.25 inch (8,2 centimeter) 6 -...
- LIKE NEW HEADLIGHTS: Easy heavy duty kit solution helps your...
- REMOVE HARSHEST YELLOWING: Kit is powered a drill-activated...
- RESTORE CLEARNESS: Improve the appearance of your vehicle.
- SEE BETTER AT NIGHT: Enhances visibility and safety for night...
3M is one of the most trusted automotive brands in the country, so you would never go wrong buying this best headlight restoration kit from them. You can buy this when you want to restore your headlight lens or as a professional who does the job for a living.
It can clean headlight lenses, taillight lenses, fog lights, and direction lights. The kit features 3M Trizact sanding discs and a great polishing pad with compound. The strong and effective kit employs abrasive technology to clean the yellow coating and any other buildup from your lenses to guarantee your safety on the road.
Follow the following steps to restore your headlights in a short time.
- Use masking tape or painter's tape to cover the area surrounding the headlights to prevent scraping the car paint. You need to provide this tape as it is not included in the package.
- Prepare your Trizact sanding discs by attaching them to a household cordless drill. Once in place, remove any buildup and yellowing you see on the lenses to restore their clarity and health.
- Use the 3M Rubbing Compound to clean off any residue left on the lenses. Let dry, and remove the tape. Once you do so, your headlight lenses are ready to use even at night.
The Trizact sanding discs included in this restoration kit are so fine and incapable of leaving any minute scratches on your headlight lenses so that you can use them without worry. The only thing you will need to worry about with this headlight restoration kit is enough elbow grease and the needed expertise to use a household drill. Please note that you also have to provide the drill as it is not included in the kit.
5. Turtle Wax T-240KT Headlight Lens Restorer Kit
- Kit includes: 3 restoration pads of various grits from 2400 to...
- Can be used on all lenses, plexiglass and plastic surfaces
- Restores dull, yellowed headlights to like new condition in less...
- Lens Clarifying Compound quickly removes surface discoloration...
- 3 multi-stage wet restoration pads focus on deeper discoloration...
This headlight lens restorer kit is the ideal product for a lens with any amount of damage. You can use it on all car lenses, plexiglass, and even various plastic surfaces. In this headlight restoration kit, you will find three restoration pads with different grits to remove any buildup and discoloration from your lenses. It also includes a spray lubricant, a clarifying compound, and packs of sealing wipes.
The restoration process is also easy; follow these simple steps, and you will have your headlights looking as good as new in no time.
- Use masking tape to seal off surrounding painted surfaces. Then use water to clean off excess dirt buildup. When dry, apply the kit's Lens Clarifying Compound to remove yellowing and any other discoloration to commence the restoration process. Ensure to apply this one headlight lens at a time to prevent drying.
- If the clarifying compound does not remove all the yellowing and stains, apply the spray lubricant and use any ideal grit sandpaper to remove the tougher stains and discoloration on problem spots.
- Once you can see the clarity of your headlights restored, use the Lens Sealing Wipes to finish the process. These wipes provide a protective layer that prevents future discoloration and damage.
The restoration kit works faster than most on this list without the need fr a drill or any other power tool. Use it to remove oxidation, yellowing, and other stains. The kit is available at a very affordable price.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Headlight Restoration Kit
You should expect your headlights to grow dimmer as time passes by, but that does not mean you always have to replace them. Buying new headlights is expensive and not always necessary if you can clean and restore clarity. The following are some factors to consider before and as you buy the best headlight restorer kits.
- Examine your headlight lenses to see if they have clarity problems. If your lenses do not appear cloudy, you may not require a restoration kit at all. If they appear clear but yet, have dim illumination, you can consider buying new bulbs.
- If your headlight lenses are cloudy, consider washing with household glass cleaners before using any restoration kit. Sometimes it could be fog, snow, road salt, or other environmental factors that may make them seem cloudy.
- When you are sure you need a restoration kit, do thorough research and buy only the best, non-abrasive kits like the ones shared in this article to avoid damaging lenses.
- When you buy a kit, read the manufacturer's instructions on the best practices to restore your headlights.
- Always have your microfiber rags ready after any restoration process to use for buffing. Microfiber towels are soffter and more effective than paper towels or any other buffing pad.
- Get in the habit of regularly cleaning the headlight lenses to slow the discoloration process.