Road trips are the pinnacle of freedom and fun that lets you get away from the shackles of daily routine to experience the grandeur of nature or adventure on the open road. On the other hand, traveling in an Audi Q5 wraps you up both in style and comfort, but that doesn't always mean that you'll have enough room inside the car for you and your bike or luggage. This is where the best roof rack for Audi Q5 cargo box comes in.
Roof rails and roof racks are a great way to expand your car's cargo capacity and make it more practical, especially if you need extra space for luggage that cannot fit in your trunk.
Why Get the Best Roof Rack for Audi Q5?
Your Audi Q5 is built to haul a decent amount of gear, but you cannot stuff a kayak or weeks’ worth of mountain biking gear plus the bikes into your rig. This is why you'll have to choose an aerodynamic roof rack for superior performance. If you opt for more occasional use or heavy-duty, you have the option of going for square load bars that are galvanized with plastic-coated steel.
You'll also need some roof bars to fit a cargo box that is compatible with your Audi Q5, and some of the best options include the Kingcher roof bars. Roof rails usually serve as a base for your roof rack installation and assist in carrying sporting equipment and cargo. Other benefits of mounting roof racks include:
- A roof rack system such as a bike rack is great for transporting large outdoor gear like your bike and other rooftop cargo
- Roof racks give relatively easy access to the trunk, unlike a hitch-mounted rack,
- Securely locks sporting equipment to the rack to prevent theft
- The versatility for cargo transportation is expanded when you add cargo boxes
- It can easily be uninstalled and stored
- Plenty of outdoor gear transportation during either summer or winter
Now that we've established what roof rails and roof racks for an Audi Q5 can do for you, now let's go into detail on the best products available, what key features they have, and how each could benefit you.
1. Thule SnowPack Ski/Snowboard Rack
- Aerodynamic rooftop rack for all types of skis and snowboards
- Fits up to 4 pairs of skis or 2 snowboards
- Securely holds thicker skis and snowboards with vertical spring...
- Ultra-soft rubber arms grip without scratching
- Oversized push button to easily open while wearing gloves
Thule, a market leader in rooftop rails, baskets, racks, boxes, and bags such as bike racks, etc., was founded in Sweden in 1942. Of all brands, Thule roof bars and roof racks are probably the most common rooftop mounting options popularly used globally. They have a secure high load-bearing galvanized steel mount construction, and a black plastic coat finish.
The Thule SnowPack rack model offers excellent functionality, quality, and strength at such an affordable price. Thanks to its unique Speed-Link mounting system, the Pull top's carrier can be quickly mounted. Additionally, no tools are required.
These Speed-Links can be mounted on Thule's rack system and round bars and most rack brands. Additionally, you can load up your skis by pushing sizeable buttons at the end of each carrier (purposely made large so you can easily control them even with your gloves on) to open the arms. The Pull Top makes loading almost effortless since you won't need to stretch or strain while hoisting your skis on the roof, which can be especially difficult if you have a car with a higher roof like a van or SUV.
The ultra-soft rubber arms also give a firm grip that doesn't scratch the surface of your valuable equipment. In addition, the 4 racks include One-Key locks that you can use to lock the carriers to the rack and the gear to the carrier. This is a sleek Thule ski rack that can carry all types of bike racks, snowboards, and skis, up to 4 snowboards or 6 pairs of skis.
Its integrated vertical spring system can safely carry the modern skis and snowboards that are relatively thicker while also reducing the box height. In addition, thanks to its featured extension feet, it raises your Audi Q5 cargo boxes for added roof clearance when you carry skis with tall bindings. Generally, the Audi Q5 / SQ5 Flush side rails SnowPack ski, and snowboard rack is a top-of-the-line ski and snowboard rack.
- An aerodynamic cargo box rooftop rack
- A smart vertical spring system
- An ultra-soft rubber arms grip
- Sizeable push button
- Heavy-duty anti-theft lock system that locks skis to the carrier and the carrier to rack
- Universal mounting
- Improved aerodynamics
- 2 sets of height extension T-track feet
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum arms
2. Thule AeroBlade Edge Flush Cargo Rack
- Cars with sun roof: Due to the racks' low fit on the car, it may...
- Integrated bar and foot design combines foot and bar together for...
- WindDiffuser technology disturbs airflow to reduce noise and drag...
- Boxbeam load bar structure creates the strongest aftermarket load...
- Fix point and flush mount systems require vehicle-specific Fit...
Thule combined all the premium AeroBlade load bar features with integral rack feet to create the AeroBlade Edge Flush rooftop cargo rack, the strongest and most low-profile cargo load bar you can get. This Thule load bar works great as an Audi Q5 roof rack thanks to its unique aerodynamic design and Boxbeam construction for a stronghold and smooth, quiet ride.
Also featured on this Thule cargo box rack by Thule is a WindDiffuser for a textured surface on the T-slot cover that disrupts airflow better than a smooth surface would for low wing noise. Overall, it has a Boxbeam aluminum construction that creates a cargo box space load bar that is so strong that it can take over 800 lbs. of force. In addition, the rack feet and load bar come pre-assembled, which makes the Thule AeroBlade Edge cargo box rack is pretty easy to install.
Its rack feet are designed to slide onto the ends of the load bar to accommodate the fixed points and flush rails within each of the rack's range. This Thule cargo load bar is also T-track compatible for faster mounting of the Thule carriers, although some might require X-adapt adapters and a vehicle-specific Fit Kit that is not included.
- Integrated bar and foot design
- Aerodynamic WindDiffuser technology
- Arched lightweight vehicle wingbar
- Box beam load bar structure
- A compatible T-track pack
3. Thule SnowPack Extender Ski and Snowboard Cargo Box Rack
- Aerodynamic slide-out rooftop rack for all types of skis and...
- Slide-out design extends from vehicle for easy loading and...
- Fits up to 6 pairs of skis/4 snowboards
- Ultra-soft rubber arms grip without scratching
- Oversized push button to easily open while wearing gloves
The SportRack brand is a member of the Thule Group of Brands. It is located in Granby, Quebec, Canada, and began manufacturing ski racks in 1980. Like Thule, they focus on an easy-on/off kind of product that includes an impressive array of multi-sport roof rack systems, bags, hitch-mounted accessories, cargo mount boxes, and even trunk-mount boxes.
Even though you will need to assemble this roof box, it is incredibly easy to assemble a durable cargo box for your vehicle, making it easy to attach and detach from your Audi Q5. Additionally, it has internal locks inside the box rack that secure your bike, equipment, or luggage so they won’t shift around as you drive.
This box rack gives your Audi a relatively higher profile and an extra room that allows you to store items that cannot be compressed, making a great bike rack for your bike. Its high-density plastic is durable, tough, and designed to prevent damage from moisture and UV rays. This is one of the best roof box racks for Audi Q5 since its also designed to take impact strikes, so you won't have to worry about the safety of your luggage or equipment even if you were involved in a minor accident.
- Extendable baskets
- Universal rooftop box rack design
- Incredibly easy to assemble
- Internal locks inside
- Relatively higher profile and extra room
- Durable high-density plastic
- Designed to take impact strikes
4. G3 CLOP Railing Airflow Roof Rack System
- Designed to deliver trouble-free, consistent performance
- Right for your vehicle and lifestyle
- Made from high-quality materials for ultimate durability
- Manufactured to meet or exceed strict quality requirements
- If you have any questions or need fitment information for your...
G3 is a top-rated premium car accessory manufacturer with a strong focus on quality, consistency, and reliability, founded in 1973. It provides an impressive collection of car accessories, roof boxes/baskets, roof bars, trunk liners, and shock absorbers.
The entire G3 roof bar range, including the Open, ClOP, and Pacific, has been ISO/PAS certified. In addition, the G3 CLOP has an Easyfix pre-assembled design that can be quickly be installed on your roof rack in minutes without the need for extra tools. The word CLOP in its title is derived from the first 2 letters in 'Close' and 'Open,' which helps describe this roof rack system designed to fit a vehicle with closed railing bars and open ones.
This stylish and rugged roof rack is designed with exceptional versatility and center vehicle stability. The G3 Clop roof rack has a high tensile strength tubing strong enough to carry all your cargo boxes, bags, and gear making it one of the best bike racks available.
A premium quality rack with unmatched durability that is sure to stand the test of time. It also comes with a strong and secure attachment point for versatility in attaching to bike racks, cargo boxes, surfboards, and other types of cargo.
- Comes lockable with a lock
- 75 kg load capacity
- High-quality material and construction
- Comes with a strong and secure attachment point
- Designed to fit vehicle brands with closed railing bars and one with open ones
5. Perrycraft MB Gripper AeroWing Load Bars
- Part number: MB3747-B-02
- Package Weight: 4.105 kilograms
- Oem equivalent part number: MB3747-B-02
- Package Dimensions: 51.0 L x 4.0 H x 6.0 W (inches)
Perrycraft is one of the trusted brands that offer superior roof rack accessories and add-on load bars and for outdoor enthusiasts and adventurous families. It has been reliably manufacturing top-grade racks, sports equipment carriers, truck bed rails, grab handles, and other premium products for over 30 years that its customers can effortlessly and securely trust.
This roof rack system comes with a 3 warranty to the original purchaser against any manufacturing defects or artistry.
- A satin anodized aluminum finish on 47-inch long AeroWing aircraft-wing style crossbars, with T-slot at the top
- Easily attachment to most factory-installed (OEM) and aftermarket roof rail and rack brands
- Adjustable theft-proof locking clamp
- Rubber-padded clamps
- Compatible with a wide range of sports equipment carriers and load-securing accessories
- 220-pound load capacity
Factors to Consider for the Best Roof Rack for Audi Q5
It may sound like common sense, but you’ll seriously need to start by seeing which cargo racks actually fit your vehicle. Most manufacturers offer a rack that uses straps or some adjustable clips that should work for various racks.
B) Easy to Install/Uninstall
You’ll often need to install and uninstall your rooftop racks, so the ease of installation/uninstallation is an important factor to consider. Some will simply require tightening or securing of straps, while others, like those featured by Thule or Yakima, will use a universal cargo boxes mounting system that only needs to be tightened using a knob.
Adding a roof rack to your vehicle naturally means that you’ll have to consider the overhead clearance as you shop. Not only will it increase your car height slightly, but adding equipment on top will limit you in some garages or underground spaces. A roof rack that may add some height to your car includes the Thule Pulse Alpine ski box, which adds 12.5 inches.
Always consider how much weight the roof rack will add to your car, how much weight it actually supports, and its weight distribution as you shop.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Roof Rack for Audi Q5
1. Will the Audi Q5 roof bars fit other cars?
The Q5 roof bars fit a little too wide, so to use them on another car. First, you'd have to remove its feet, center it, and re-drill the aluminum bars. The back ones can re-use the holes inside.
2. Will Audi Q5 roof bars fit an Audi Q3?
Definitely, and also depending on whether you are somewhat handy. You can easily modify the Audi Q5 crossbars to fit your Audi Q3. Most of the rear Q5 bars perfectly fit the front of your Q3 with no mods.
3. Can I remove my cargo box or roof rails?
Most roof rails simply clamp around the side rails or door jamb. You can remove these by loosening up a few bolts. Once you do this, most roof racks will only take you roughly about 5-15 minutes to completely remove. Always start by locating the point at which your Audi Q5 roof rack attaches to the roof; typically, side rails, crossbars, or door jambs will fall in this category.